Fowler and Blok has been successful in overturning convictions for a wide range of offenses, including murder, robbery, sexual assault, dangerous driving, and others.
In addition, the firm has successfully argued sentence appeals, resulting in significant reductions of jail time for our clients.
Many of the appeals argued by Fowler and Blok deal with complex and emerging legal issues. The firm has been involved in cases dealing with important issues such as:
- Ineffective assistance of counsel
The admissibility of hearsay statements
The admissibility of similar fact evidence;
- the definition of reasonable doubt;
- the constitutionality of provisions of the Criminal Code;
- the tendering of fresh evidence on appeal;
- the use of videotaped statements in sexual assault cases;
- the factors to be considered under the law of provocation in murder cases; and
- and various search and wiretap issues.
It is also important to note that a large number of appeals handled by Fowler and Blok are referrals from trial counsel. It is not necessary for the firm to have represented someone at trial in order to handle their appeal.
In short, Fowler and Blok has a significant amount of experience in handling all manner of appeals, and appeal-related issues. The firm is able to assist clients with summary conviction appeals, sentence appeals, conviction appeals, applications for leave to appeal, and appeals to the Supreme Court of Canada. We can also assist you in obtaining funding if you do not have the ability to pay for an appeal.